- Select a patient on the first Barnestorm screen by typing in either the patient’s chart number or the first 3 letters of their last or first name.
- From Barnestorm Office click the Patient Histories button from the Main Menu. A menu will pop up right underneath that, and from there you will select Medicine History. From Barnestorm POC you will click on Med History.
- Click the New button from left panel.
- The Add / Edit Medicine Code window will pop up, allowing you to enter a medicine and the related information.
- Enter the medicine by typing a few letters of the medicine into the Medicine box and you will get a list of all medicines that contain those letters.
- Select the medicine you want by clicking on it.
- Next, enter the Effective Date to indicate when the medication has or will start.
- Click the N if the medicine is new or C if the medication is being changed.
- By default the primary employee and physician are filled in, but you may change either or both of these as needed. POC users will not be able to change the employee.
- Type in a Dose / Frequency / Route. You must type this information—the medication cannot be saved without it.
- Type in what the medication is treating in the Treatment area if needed.
- Under Schedule, click button(s) as needed to indicate when the patient should take this medication.
- Click the Save and Exit or Save, then prepare for another medicine button. The window will close or refresh the screen for another new medicine entry.
- The panel will display the list of medicines for that patient.
- You can also use the Medication Builder to enter medication information. This can help ensure that each required section of the medication is entered.
- Optional: When you click on New Medicine, New Dose/Freq/Router or Edit Entry, check the box “Show/Hide Med Builder”.
- Enter and select the required dose, freq and route information.
o All other boxes are optional.
o There’s an option to translate the abbreviations to words or to make all letters uppercase.
o Click on Build Dose/Freq/Rte button.
o An error message will appear if any required boxes were left out.
o The information will show up in a Dose/Freq/Route format.
o Save the medication when finished.
Note: If your agency wants the Medication Builder screen to show up as default each time, someone with a high security level can go into Codes > Security > Global Settings > Patient Histories. Make the On Med History, Required the Dose/Freq/Route Builder Panel equal True. This will change the default for all Barnestorm users.